Renovating or building a house can be a challenging yet exciting process, but if you don’t hire the right contractor to do the work on your home, renovating your home can quickly become a nightmare. As such, it is very worth your while to take the time to consider some of the following factors when choosing a general contractor to work on your Los Angeles home.
- Proper licensing – one of the first and foremost items to check when considering hiring any kind of tradesperson to work on your home is whether or not the company or person is properly licensed by the state. Using an unlicensed contractor can put both you and your home at considerable risk.
- Is insured and bonded – when someone works anywhere on your home and isn’t insured and bonded, you will carry the liability for any injuries to his/her person and any damaged caused. It is not worthwhile for any homeowner to take this kind of risk.
- Past work experience – having a portfolio, a list of recent projects and references for past work is very important when hiring a contractor. This allows you to see the kind of work the contractor has done the scope of work he/she is capable of.
- Any specialties – many contractors specialize in certain kinds of construction, whether it be historical restoration, certain kinds of architecture such as post and beam, or a certain look or style.
- Do they handle the kind of work you need? – if you have a good idea of the kind of work you want done with your home, it is very important to make sure that any contractors you are considering actually do the work you need.
- Professional certifications – many contractors have certifications, such as being a certified remodeler; if you don’t see any certifications highlighted on marketing material, don’t be afraid to ask.
- Professional affiliations – it is always an endorsement for the contractor if the company is affiliated with professional entities like the Better Business Bureau and the Building Industry Association.
The professionals at Advanced Builders & Contractors bring over 20 years of construction work to every job, so if you are considering renovation or construction to your home in Los Angeles, call us today!