Renovating a bathroom can add a lot of value onto your home, and extending the amount of space in your bathroom offers you more room to do so. But there are a few things to think about if you are still on the fence about whether to build a bump-out extension. In this guide, we offer some advice to those who choose to add on to their bathrooms and for those only looking to add the appearance of space.
When a Bump-Out Addition Is the Right Choice
A bump-out addition gives you space to make major changes in the bathroom, like adding a double vanity, transforming your bathroom into a spa-like experience, or turning a half-bath into a full. Here’s what you should know about bump-out extensions.
- Space is limited by the size of your existing floor joists and local codes.
- You need a shoring wall to support the home as you cut a hole into the wall.
- A header and floor joists help to keep the new bump-out sturdy.
- You should work with a professional contractor to ensure all local codes are followed and to make your bump out as safe and functional as possible.
When a Bump-Out Addition Is Unnecessary
Maybe you are tired of the lack of space in your bathroom, but you don’t feel you need to take the time to extend your bathroom. A bump-out addition is really only necessary if you want to install new and larger fixtures and plumbing installations. Instead, try making your bathroom feel or appear larger with these tips.
- Consider a glass shower screen with no screen over a shower curtain.
- Add mirrors. Real estate agents commonly use mirrors to make a room feel larger.
- Use plenty of recessed lighting and natural light wherever possible.
- Paint the bathroom a lighter color.
Advanced Home Services is building the future with expert remodeling services in Los Angeles, CA. Call our friendly team today!