You know you need to add space to your home, either for a spare guest bedroom or a new room to welcome a brand new family member or an elderly relative. While you’ve got a long way to go in renovating your home or remodeling an existing room, one of the toughest decisions comes now: where will the new room go?
Examine Your Options
There are a few questions you can ask yourself before you can determine the placement of a new bedroom to narrow down your options.
- Is there space on your property to add on to your home?
- Or do you have space available within the home already?
- Is there a room you are not currently using for its intended purpose?
- Can you convert your attic or basement into a living space?
- Is it possible to lift the roof and build up?
If it’s an existing room you want to convert…
If you decide to convert an existing room into a new bedroom, make sure:
- There is sufficient natural lighting for the occupants, but not so much it decreases efficiency.
- You can make the change while complying with local building codes.
- It won’t affect the way you navigate through the home.
If it’s a room you want to add on…
- You are willing to sacrifice space in your yard.
- You won’t get in the way of your neighbor’s views.
- You are prepared to give up trees and other landscaping features.
- You have enough time carved out of your schedule to complete the job.
- There is easy access to the rest of the home, like the kitchen and bathroom.
- You are ready to tear out walls.
In general, the best way to start on a renovation or remodeling project is to call a local contractor for help. Contact the friendly, licensed, and bonded contractors at Advanced Builders & Contractors for remodeling services in Beverly Hills, CA.